Gynecological Surgeries

Gynecological surgeries commonly includes; hysterectomy, in about 60 % of the cases while the other 40% include hysterosalphingography, dilatation and curettage and perineoplasty. Hysterectomy is one of the commonest gynecologic surgery in India. It is the surgical procedure where the uterus is removed along with the fallopian tubes and the ovaries. As the causes depends on the hormonal factors, environmental factors, psychological factors of the women, it has become an inevitable gynecological surgical procedure for most of the female problems.

Indications of Hysterectomy

When gynecological treatments fail to give the expected results the surgery is performed. Indications are abnormal, excessive and unexplained uterine bleeding, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, uterine prolapse after the menopause, unhealthy cervix, undescended uterus, uterine perforations and chronic back pains. It is also conducted as an alternative surgery to abdominal hysterectomy too.

Abdominal hysterectomy which is the old traditional method of removal of female reproductive organs by making an incision over the abdomen had some disadvantages like increased blood loss, longer recovery period, injury to the abdominal tissues, the severe post-operative pain and many other post-surgical complications. In order to overcome these disadvantages modern methods of hysterectomy are adopted.

Methods of Modern Hysterectomy

  • Vaginal Hysterectomy
  • Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy

Vaginal Hysterectomy:

It is the removal of uterus and tubes and ovaries are done through the vagina. It is the most common elective procedure adopted by the experienced gynecologist in Lakshmi Fertility Centre over the traditional abdominal hysterectomy for its advantages.

The Vaginal Hysterectomy advantages are
  • Post-operative pain is less.
  • Decreased blood loss compared to abdominal hysterectomy.
  • Faster recovery period.
  • Need of less anesthesia thereby aesthetic complications are reduced.
  • Decreased injury to the tissues of the abdomen.
  • Decreased hospital stay after surgery.